Roberts Covered Bridge.
Roberts "Double Barrell" Covered Bridge.Roberts Bridge formerly spanned Seven Mile Creek. The bridge was built by Orlistus Roberts in 1829, which makes the Roberts Bridge the oldest in Ohio. The 90' bridge rests on stone abutments. Roberts Bridge is the only double-barrelled covered bridge in Ohio and is one of only six left in the United States.
On August 5, 1986, the bridge was burned by arsonists. The fire destroyed most of the bridge. The fire was a great tragedy because it not only ruined the oldest bridge in Ohio, but the only double-barrelled bridge in Ohio. Roberts Bridge, after being dismantled, sandblasted, and reassembled at a cost of over $150,000, is now located in a city park on the south edge of Eaton. In 1829, having obtained a contract from the U.S. government, Orlistus Roberts began building a covered bridge where the turnpike form Rossville crossed Seven Mile Creek on his property, in section 14 of Gasper Township about two and one-half miles south of the village of Eaton.
With the help of his apprentice, James Campbell, Roberts built the bridge of local poplar, beech and Oak, resting it on abutments of limestone quarried from nearby Rocky Run. All bolts, nuts and nails were hand forged by the builders. Roberts died before completion of the bridge that bears his name and it was finished James Campbell. Campbell later married Mrs. Roberts and all three are buried in a family plot north of the original bridge site on the former Roberts farm.